It happens a lot of time that we have to leave our workstation for some work and in that period someone can easily look into our system to see our work and other stuff. It is not always possible to remain seated on the system till the work is completed, so what if there is an automatic monitoring device for your system. Well that will be great isn’t it, so in this article we are going to look into one such monitoring tool which can unlock your computer in your absence with the help of USB Flash Drive.
Predator: How to Lock Computer using USB Drive
Predator is a tool which is used to unlock your system while you are away. Working of this tool is very simple, it goes like this : Initially it will create a key(much like used in Cryptography Process) and store that key in a file on USB Flash drive and when monitoring is on simply remove the USB flash drive and the system will gets locked down. It happens because this tool keeps accessing the stored key on USB flash drive after a specified time interval and if that key is not accessible then the system gets locked down.
Features of Predator Tool
- Alert messages by Email
- Can take a picture of the person who tries to use your computer and attach it to an email or upload it to a remote server
- Records all security-related events in a log file
- Disables the Windows task manager when you unplug the USB drive
- Disables the CD Autorun feature in Windows, to prevent intruders from running malware on specially crafted CDs.
- Lets you regain control of your computer if you lose your stick
- Sound an audible alarm if somebody enters an invalid password
Images showing working of Predator USB Locker Tool
Below are some of the screenshots of the tool running on my system. I tried this and it work perfectly well for me.
In the figure below preferences of the Predator tool are being set with Key creation on Flash Drive.
Below is the figure showing the log generated, it is very useful in troubleshooting.
In the figure below key which is generated and stored on USB Flash drive is show
Watch a video demonstration of PREDATOR tool