In today’s world technology has been enhanced very much, we are capable of surfing the internet almost on every single device. Laptops, tablets, phones and PCs are the most important things through which we use the Internet and do a lot of our daily work like reading, chatting, preparing PPT’s , storing documents, gaming, sending emails and much more. One single malicious software, file or malware can ruin our devices and it can even lead to leakage of personal data. These viruses can even lock files and start asking for payment to unlock them like the WannaCry malware. To get protection form these viruses there are a plenty of antivirus programs available, and some of them will cost you a lot of money. Here we are going to talk about a Bitdefender antivirus.
Bitdefender is a Romania based company founded in 2001 since then it is making antivirus/antimalware solutions for businesses & home users. Recently, they got the distinction of “best antivirus of 2018”. It is small in size, around 400mb,and provides features that a premium antivirus usually gives. And one more thing, this product is free.
Being small in size it also requires a small amount of RAM from devices, which means users can easily run other software, play games that require free RAM easily. Bitdefender won the best Antivirus Award in 2016.
- Real Time Protection – It runs in the background and closely monitors every launched apps and files that are being used to find any suspicious thing is going with them and if anything found to be infected it takes action accordingly.
- Virus Scanning and Malware Removal – It provides protection from almost every malware through its powerful search engine. It can detect and remove viruses, worms and Trojans, to ransomware, zero-day exploits, rootkits and spyware.
- Anti-Phishing – The free version is also able to detect the fake websites that tricks users to enter their Password or Credit card data and then steal the information. Bitdefender will block those websites.
- Anti-Fraud – The advanced filtration system can prevent users to enter their sensitive financial data on scam websites.
The setup is simple you just need to go to the Bitdefender website and download the free antivirus for Windows setup file. Just open the setup while connected to the internet and let it download all the files that it requires for complete installation.
After download you will be granted with the Install Screen. Agree the terms and condition and click INSTALL button. (It will take some time for installation to complete)
After installation you will be greeted with the login screen. To activate the free account, just click SIGN IN BITDEFENDER. If you have an account, then sign-in otherwise you can create a new account from this screen.
The interface is simple, dark themed with a Green Tick that signifies that you are safe. If you are in danger it will show you a red coloured X, here you will just have one button that says “SYSTEM SCAN” that will do all the hard work of scanning your PC. But the free version doesn’t allow you to schedule scans which means you have to manually perform a scan.
There is also the option to drag and drop files which will help the users scan a particular file.
Going into the settings
Here you will get 4 options:
- Events: – It will show all of Bitdefender’s activity that occurred on your system, such as any virus found or infected file deleted.
- Quarantine: – It temporarily contains the infected files to make sure it is safe in case you need them before they are permanently gone.
- Exclusions: – Here the software gives the user the option to exclude files and websites from scans. This way it cannot delete or block the file or website.
- Protection: – It gives only one option to turn on/off the real time protection.
There are a plenty of free antiviruses out there on the Internet with heavy RAM usage and a lot of unnecessary settings. If you are looking for an Antivirus with minimal settings and which can handle basic tasks for you like web protection and real time file protection with minimum RAM usage, require less disk space to install and without any cost, then this Bitdefender product is a good choice. Its database logs known viruses and updates frequently so there is no need to worry about the latest malicious programs that could kill your PC.